Of the different dog breed dna test companies I looked at, I chose Wisdom Panel. It seemed to have the largest database of breeds available in their dna test for dogs. What I really liked was that it gave me not only the mix of breeds my dog was but also predicted what breed my dog’s parents, grandparents, and great grandparents were. Dog genetic testing is still fairly new though so I did have one instance where one great grandparent generation just said mixed breed as the percentages were to low to determine any specific breeds.
I knew what my dog’s primary breed was but could never figure out the mix. When the pet dna test came back with Catahoula, I started looking into the breed and everything began to make sense. Her look and those quirky things I love about her are common in the breeds that the test came back with.
I can’t recommend this dog dna test enough. I have no doubt it will help “shed” some light on those mystery breed mixes!
Click to see test kit.
The dog breed DNA test by Wisdom Panel is fairly easy to complete. The dog DNA test kit comes with cheek swabs, a sleeve to hold them, return shipping label, and a short questionnaire. I was definitely surprised that everything I needed for a dog DNA test was included in the box!
1. OPEN SWAB SLEEVE – Peel back the edges of the swab sleeve about 1 inch (not all the way) and remove swab by holding its handle. Do not touch the bristles. Save the sleeve to place the swabs in for mailing.
2. COLLECT CHEEK CELLS – Firmly roll the swab’s bristles between the inner surface of the cheek and gums for about 15 seconds for each swab. NOTE: DO NOT let your dog eat anything for about an hour before you do the test.
3. AIR DRY SWABS – Insert swab handle in the hole of the carton insert and allow swabs to dry for about five minutes. Repeat steps 1-3 for the second swab.
4. ACTIVATE YOUR DOG DNA KIT – Visit www.wisdompanel.com and click on the “Activate Your Kit” button at the top of the page. Fill out all the information, check it for accuracy and submit. You will receive an Activation Code Number that you need to write on the back of your Sample ID Sticker.
5. REINSERT DRY SWABS – Reinsert both dry swabs into the protective sleeve they came in. DO NOT reseal as this can cause bacterial growth.
6. SEAL THE CARTON – Place the sleeve with the swabs back into the carton it came in and seal.
7. MAIL TEST TO LAB – Pre-paid shipping label has already been placed on the carton. Simply seal and place with the outgoing mail. IN APPROXIMATELY 2-3 WEEKS FROM THE TIME THE SAMPLE REACHES THE LAB YOU WILL BE EMAILED A LINK TO DOWNLOAD YOUR REPORT.
One of the great joys of pet ownership is learning about your best friend’s breed history, mannerisms, and temperament. What do you do when you are not sure of the breed though?
This is an issue I have come across as a pet owner of several mixed breed dogs. I began a search to discover how it is possible to determine breed and was given the suggestion of trying a dog DNA test.
After seeing amazing results and not finding much other reputable information online, I decided to write a review on what really gave me a closer relationship to my animals and is in my opinion the best dog DNA test, the Wisdom Panel line of canine DNA testing by Mars Veterinary.